Undergrowth Hat, Extra Leafy

I know I should have used colors with a stronger contrast but I wanted to use these yarns anyway. This is the Undergrowth Hat (in the current Knitty) and I used Wool of the Andes Sport in grass and amethyst. This yarn tends to be a bit fuzzy, especially if you end up ripping anything out. I knit the large and went up a needle size to fit my large head and it fits perfectly. The design is inspired by hosta leaves.


I channeled my inner Nicky Epstein and added some additional leaves (page 37, Knitted Embellishments).


The only other change I made is that I did a row of purl sts before the braids instead of a row of knit sts. I wanted to see if it would keep the braids from curling and it did. I wrote down in my knitting journal to do that all the time when knitting braided cuffs.