I'm not really into all the different cast ons and bind offs out there. I've tried many of them but the truth is I use the long-tail cast on 99% of the time for speed and simplicity. That is until yesterday when I finally tried the German Twisted Cast On. It is performed almost the same as the long-tail cast on but it varies in how you insert the needle into the loop around your thumb.

It looks like the long-tail cast on except there is what looks like a purl bump above the cast on ridge. This extra length of this cast on is one reason why using it for corrugated/two-color ribbing is a good thing - you're less likely to see the second color peeking out below the cast on edge. It is also much more elastic than the long-tail cast on which is nice because I'm using some non-elastic alpaca for the project shown. The best thing about the German Twisted Cast On though is that corrugated ribbing doesn't curl at all. I love corrugated ribbing so I will be definitely using it in the future.

HERE's the photo tutorial I used to learn this cast on. She uses two different colors for each end of the yarn to better show the method.
I'm currently designing a pair of multi-colored yet masculine mittens for DH (in alpaca). The colorwork gloves are finished but I can't seem to decide what color fringe to add. I'm waiting to take photos until I decide.