Colorwork Book Review: Around the World in Knitted Socks


Around the World in Knitted Socks by German knitwear designer Stephanie Van Der Linden isn't exclusively colorwork but the book has enough colorwork designs (16 out of 26 total patterns ) that it is still worth buying just for the stranded patterns. And the non-stranded designs are beautiful as well.




This book has actually been out a while but silly me pre-ordered it from Amazon which took longer than just ordering it the minute it was available. The book includes sock designs from the usual places like Norway and Scotland famous for their knitting designs but also more unusual places like Italy and Switzerland. I think Stephanie has a distinctive design style though and it shows through even in her more traditional designs.

The patterns in the book include several different heels and some fun techniques like argyle socks done in short rows instead of intarsia, travelling stitches, embroidery, sideways construction, braids and beading. I think most of the socks are knit cuff down. In the end of the book she briefly discusses two color knitting and even has a photo that shows what too short floats will look like while knitting. Really though the book is all about the designs and you should buy it if like me you love the designs - you can go HERE to see all the socks in the book.

If I had a quibble I'd say I wish there were some socks knit in a thicker weight than fingering weight but that is just me. I prefer thicker socks when padding around this house with the cold  brick floors. Still I adore this book and am absolutely thrilled to see a new book out that is full of great stranded designs. I think I'm going to start with her Colors of the Andes socks.

ETA: Oops - it looks like at least one of the sock patterns is knit toe up (the first socks in this blog post) so I'll change it to most of the socks are knit cuff down.