Peaches my sweet bunny girl died tonight. I can't even believe it. I woke up and it was the first time ever she didn't immediately greet me, waiting for her morning treat of 1/2 tablet of banana acidophilus. She wasn't eating much so I spent the day hand feeding her. My vet was on vacation and so was every other rabbit vet within a 20 mile radius. When DH returned home from work we took her into Albuquerque to an emergency vet where she got fluids and pain meds. When we got back home she was like a limp dishrag and couldn't even walk. Then it got worse but I won't go into it. Suffice it to say she did not go gentle into that good night, Jack the cat was totally freaked out, and DH has said we can never get another rabbit to break our hearts like this again. I swear to God she was perfectly fine yesterday.

She had just turned 5 years old and she only lived with us 3 3/4 years. She adored this house - it was the first house she'd ever lived in and she had pet beds, blankets, and boxes in most every room. I'm pretty sure she had more bunny toys than any other bunny in the world. We adopted her from the Colorado House Rabbit Society which is why I donate money to them from patterns even though I live in NM. The HRS rescuer called her Breezy but DH changed it to Peaches. She was so scared when she moved here that it took her several months to leave the bedroom (the door was always open) and a year before she'd brave the three stairs to come down to the living room.

She really was one of our great joys in life and always made us laugh. Just a few days ago we were giggling because she had wedged her fat self into this tiny box DH used to hold kindling. She loved the woodstove and would spend hours "inspecting" the firewood. Sometimes you'd just see her big ears over the stacks of wood. She had the most beautiful bunny eyelashes and loved to rip apart cardboard boxes loudly in the middle of the night. It is hard to even imagine this house without her.

Now I need to go cry for a few days.