May Color Knitting Links

Things are slowing down in the knitting world as they do this time every year so I'll just do one color knitting link post a month until fall.

FREE PATTERNS

Hanne Magnussen designed this pretty raglan sweater, Long Faroese Sweater, using naturally colored yarns.

Patti Henry's Dots and Stripes Purse uses many colors of DK weight yarn.

HERE is a free pattern for a mosaic hat from Cascade using Aran weight yarn.

Knitting Iceland offers this free pattern for Beta's Mittens. The mittens themselves are knit in one color but the design comes from a second color that is cross-stitched on the front.

The Houndstooth Beanie and Mitts use a combo of Cascade Heritage solids and paints.

PATTERNS FOR SALE

I'm in Janel Laidman's Illuminations Colorwork Sock Club and I just wanted to shout out her newest Granada pattern. I'm glad I just signed up for the patterns only version of the club because my eyes have trouble distinguishing the pattern with the two multi-colored yarns used. Anyway, I look forward to making these striking socks inspired by Moorish architecture in two solid colored yarns. There are lots of really long floats but they'll be worth it.

Lisa Ellis' Russian Winter Hat and Purse use two colors of fingering weight yarn. I really love the two color ribbing design on the hat.

Isabelle Allard has two new pretty stranded sock patterns Bas Symetriques #1 and Bas Symetriques #2. I really like them both although I'm currently leaning toward #1.

VIDEOS

Kerin of Knit Picks has released a very helpful video on intarsia knitting - check it out if you find intarsia difficult.

Clothed in the Lamb offers this interesting video on reversible intarsia which I have to try. I didn't watch the whole thing but it looks like it is done with K1, P1 ribbing. Their beautiful Second Spring scarf pattern uses the technique.

BOOKS

Looks like Nancy Bush is releasing an updated edition of Folk Socks next January. It doesn't look like there are any new patterns (darn!) but the yarn selection is updated and it looks like there is some additional technique info.

Speaking of Nancy Bush, the book I'm most anxiously awaiting is Knitting Socks Around the World which comes out in July and has patterns from Nancy and many other great sock designers.

Check out Scandinavian Folklore which is full of gorgeous color photos of traditional costumes. From looking at this page it appears to be partially in English. Thanks to Chery for the heads up on this book!

NeedleArtsBookShop is selling a Japanese knitting book on colorwork - Fair Isle Knitting which has some gorgeous sweaters.

KITS

Rare Rowan Yarns claims to have the largest selection of discontinued Rowan yarns and kits. They're pricey but it is nice to know you can still buy a Kaffe Fassett yarn kit for many of his designs.

MISCELLANEOUS

Looks like yarn and kit prices at Virtual Yarns have increased. I guess I shouldn't have waited so long to buy this hat kit. I think I'll ask DH to get it for my birthday in July.

HERE is an interesting post on using conductive thread to make knit items than can be used with touchpad screens. Since I have perpetually cold hands, I'm going to have to check this stuff out so I can read my nook while wearing gloves.

HERE is a quick how-to post on making your own glove blockers.




Bubbles hopes everyone has time to stop and smell the flowers today.