It is a cruel irony that today I'm showing you two dreadfully boring pairs of socks knit on request for DH. This is the same DH who recently informed me he will be at the Kentucky Derby with co-workers for the week of our 20th wedding anniversary. Ouch!



Anyway, DH likes heavy hiking socks. I used Aran weight Selkirk from Ram Wools. This wool yarn is inexpensive ($4.50 for a 272 yard skein) and only one skein is needed for a pair of socks. It does become softer upon washing and I have washed my remaining skeins so it will soften up before knitting. I'm still not sure I'd wear it next to my skin.



The first pair is in khaki and was done on 48 stitches on size 7 dpns. For his hiking socks I do 8" of K2P2 ribbing then a Dutch heel on 24 stitches then at the toe I decreased to 16 stitches.







The second pair I only used 44 stitches and decreased to 12 stitches at the toe and I like them better. The color is Forest Brown.