I cannot believe it.

I have enough sock yarn for 40 pairs of socks. I was reading Michelle's blog and she stated she had enough yarn for 30 pairs of socks. I thought, "Oh I'm sure I don't have as much sock yarn as Michelle. She's always knitting socks with beautiful sock yarns and I rarely even buy sock yarn. Actually I probably need to buy more sock yarn."

So then I went and counted. Yikes. At first I counted just around 25 pairs/50 skeins. But then I remembered the cotton sock yarn (4 skeins) and the sport weight sock yarn (4) and the sock yarn Lisa sent me (6 skeins) and the sock yarn in armoire in the living room and so on.

I was counting sock yarn only - yarn that is officially designated as sock yarn. I didn't include partial skeins. I didn't include my vintage Nylamb stash either since it is designated as "Sock AND Baby Yarn." (If I included the Nylamb I'd probably die from embarrassment.) And here I was so proud of myself for trying to use up all my multi-colored sock yarns lately. I have enough sock yarn - 81 skeins - to knit only socks for the next year. Yikes.

As proof of my folly, here's the stash. The baskets and containers on top hold all my spinning fiber. The cubes came from Target - I believe I bought two sets for around $14 each. 2 cubes hold sock yarn, 1 cube holds Nylamb, 1 cube holds Cascade 220, 1 cube holds Peruvian wool, 1 cube holds Nature Spun sport weight, 1 cube holds fingering weight Shetland wool and the rest are combos.






In my defense, I produce a lot of FOs each year and colorwork requires a larger stash. But still...