Stasia told me about the new knitalong, Knit the Classics, in the comments recently. They're currently reading Middlemarch which is my favorite book so I'm finally involved in a knitalong. I'm going to choose some lace socks to knit while re-reading it - probably the vine lace socks in Socks X3 and the Girly-Girl socks in the Spin-Off sock book.

Chris asked why no ribbing on the last pair of socks I knit. I have a perfectly good explanation - BUGS! NM is an entomologist's paradise. What does this have to do with socks you ask? Every night the house fills with insects of all shapes and sizes despite the fact that I rarely even open the windows. One strategy to deal with this is to knit in the dark while watching tv. Although I can turn heels in the dark, I can't knit ribbing for some reason.

I finished the second pair knit in the dark (see below) - the yarn is some Kroy I bought on Elann a while back. I had sworn off Kroy sock yarn previously when a meticulously knit Christmas pair of socks shrunk (it is supposedly machine washable yarn) but now that I wash all my socks by hand it isn't an issue.

Oddly enough, these socks don't really slouch despite the lack of ribbing. They do fit pretty snugly though and are knit on 60 stitches with size 2 dpns. Both DH & I have really skinny ankles and the socks stay up. (I'm almost done with a pair for him which I'll show here in a day or two.) I may never do ribbing again.

Peaches is highly offended that I was feeding strange sheep graham crackers when all she gets is an empty hand to sniff. Look at those chipmunk cheeks.

.


And here's the second pair of "socks in the dark".