I've been meaning to post reviews of two new books.

Andean Knits: Great Designs from Peru, Chile, Argentina, Ecuador and Bolivia by Marcia Lewandowski is a fascinating read. There are actually a couple of stores here in NM that sell Andean knits - one is located at the ski resort in Taos and one is in Santa Fe. The tightness of the knitting is astounding. I was thrilled to see a book on the subject so I can knit my own Andean accessories. The author discusses the history of the Andean people and has an interesting chapter on tools and techniques.

I appreciate that this book is full of great color photos. There are a few things I want to make from it including all of the mitten patterns. When I bought the author's Folk Mittens book I learned I can rarely get her gauge so I know to make adjustments accordingly. Lots of the patterns in Andean Knits use worsted weight yarn and size 2 (US) needles to get the traditional tight gauge.

Here are a few whimsical bag patterns from the book - a fish and a llama.







The second book is the House Rabbit Handbook: How to Live with an Urban Rabbit (4th Edition) by Marinell Harriman. This is the bible for people with house rabbits and is required reading for anyone considering a pet rabbit. I've had the third edition of this book for years and it is falling apart. At the recent rabbit rescue get-together, I was browsing through the newer fourth edition and realized it had a lot of additional info I can use.

Some of the updates to this book in the fourth edition include an excellent section listing drugs traditionally used with rabbits written by reknowned rabbit vet Carolynn Harvey, a much-expanded section on rabbit digestion and more rabbit health info, a list of plants rabbits shouldn't eat, much more info on rabbits living with other pets, and a section on special diets. So even if you already have the third edition, the fourth edition is worth buying. It is an inexpensive book as well - only $8.76 at Amazon. There are many new photos showing various living situations and rabbits being rabbits.

Here's a photo from the book showing the sanctuary rabbits I met at the party.