Socks Inspired by a Catalog, No. 1



Last year I found some cute colorwork socks in an Eddie Bauer catalog. They had a short row heel which never fits me well so I decided to knit them myself from the photo in the catalog. Mine are slightly different because I changed some of the patterns. I also used sport weight yarn (I have many many more colors in sport weight since sock yarn manufacturers stopped making many solid colors.) instead of the finer yarn used in the original socks. Interestingly enough, I found it a LOT easier to knit a charted pattern from a photo than from a chart. It must be a different form of eye/hand coordination or something.



This year I found these interesting asymmetrical socks in the North Style catalog. Alas, they also use a short row heel so I'm going to knit myself a pair using the photo. Here are the colors I found in the sport weight stash for the purple pair. All the patterns look easy - my biggest challenge will be to actually make each sock different. I have a strong desire for symmetry so it will be a good test.