KNITTING TOP-DOWN GLOVES, PART 1

I knit a simple fingertip-less glove top down using two colors for this tutorial. First I knit each finger. In this glove I experimented with increases at several points for each finger but discovered it really doesn't make a huge difference in fit except for the thumb.

I left the index finger on the dpns but the other fingers have live stitches on orange waste yarn. Using two different colors for the fingers helped me remember each finger; otherwise I would have marked them. If I had knitted fingertips, I would have used my favorite Figure 8 Cast On (scroll down HERE for a tutorial) for each finger.



I transferred the live stitches to dpns for the index, middle and ring finger. Not all the live stitches ended up on the dpns - there are 3 stitches on each side between the index and middle finger and between the middle finger and ring finger. These are held on the orange waste yarn and are to be kitchenered together later.



I knit around several rows before adding the little finger because my hands have a 1/2" jump from the base of my little finger to the base of my ring finger. Again there are three stitches in orange waste yarn on each side of the join between the ring finger and the little finger.



The little finger has been added and next I knit 2 inches more to get to the thumb.




Tomorrow - top-down thumb gussets and how to deal with holes between the fingers.