I credit Dale of Norway for making me addicted to stranded color knitting. When I started knitting seriously they published the most beautiful knitting patterns. I can't even wear boxy ski sweaters and we live in a warmish climate so heavy sweaters aren't really practical. But the first time I knit a Dale pattern I was hooked. I experience complete joy when knitting their patterns. So far I've knit six of their sweaters and plan to knit more even though we rarely wear them.

When knitting became really popular a few years ago and Dale stopped publishing stranded patterns in favor of easier designs it was by far the saddest thing that has happened to me as a knitter. I don't know if the new Whistler pattern means they're returning to complex stranded designs or if it is just a fluke. I've also heard rumors there is a Dale Christmas stocking book being released.

Dale is the reason I blather on here about multi-color knitting rather than lace or cables. All of their old booklets are unfortunately long out of print and expensive but I thought I'd put some photos of some favorite Dale sweaters through the years.


St. Moritz


#7912


Norge 2000


#12406


#6101

This last cardigan is still in my queue if I ever find some yarn to use. I do love knitting with Heilo but if I used it I could only wear this as a coat.