Thank you everyone for your great hints and ideas for my future yarn containment system! I still haven't gotten to Flickr to look through some craft room photos but I hope to this week. Once I finalize the plans I'll have DH do a drawing of my upcoming yarn armoire and post it here.

Here are some methods I've used in the past. In the first two photos I sorted my yarn in plastic bins by colors instead of weights and brands. While I like looking at all the colors together for some reason I prefer to have yarn stored by brand and weight.


Here's a very old method when my stash was over twice the size it is today. (Back then I used to buy yarn whenever I felt like it rather than only buying yarn in particular brands and colors.) I used Neat Cubes which I purchased at Target for this system and the yarn is sorted by weight and brand. The spinning fibers are on top of the cubes and you can even see my large Navajo spindle on the far left. I always worried that the Neat Cubes would crash or fall apart as they weren't stable enough for me. I also worried that our bright sunlight would fade the fibers.


Honestly every method I've tried is pretty messy. When you have so many partial yarn skeins from colorwork, you always have tangling. So I'm going to think some more on how best to store all those tiny bits of yarn in various colors with a minimum of tangling.