Working on 2nd Yarn List



Even though it is cooling here I am still not back to my usual knitting productivity. So instead I thought I'd work on a new yarn list. Last year with everyone's suggestions I compiled a list of basic wool yarns for colorwork. The yarns on the list were non-superwash, smooth and plied 100% wool yarns with more than 15 or 20 colors to choose from. I also stuck the list on the Stranded forum's group pages HERE.

This second list will be yarns that knitters like for stranded color knitting that don't fit the confines of the first list. All non-wool yarns, wool blends, superwash, single ply, lumpy, etc. yarns will work here. I'll link them all up to their Ravelry yarn page. Let's keep the list solid color yarns and preferably at least 10 colors to choose from but other than that the sky is the limit. I appreciate any and all suggestions you have for yarns you've used for colorwork and I'll put my request (and the final list) on Ravelry's Stranded forum as well.

(BTW, the yarn seen above is Pakucho organic cotton in many different naturally-colored shades. I'm hoping to try it for colorwork soon. Aren't the shades beautiful? It is so dark here today that I thought the flash would go off when I took the photo; there's no way those colors would have shown up in our normal bright sun.)

As you add your comments here and on Ravelry I'll keep adding to the list on this page. Thanks so much! A list of yarns other knitters have enjoyed for colorwork is very helpful to those new to stranded color knitting. If you sell yarns you think would work for color knitting, let me know in the comments and I'll add them.

I'll start by adding the one yarn everyone wanted on the last list because it is very popular for colorwork. It is superwash though so I kept it off the last list.


Fingering Weight
Dale of Norway Baby Ull superwash wool

DK/Sport Weight

Worsted Weight