August Color Knitting Links

An eagle-eyed knitter on the Dale of Norway Ravelry group noticed that in the Norwegian Patterns for Knitting book by Mette N. Handberg some of the color charts extend over the center page fold. I'm not sure if you would be able to xerox the charts or even read them accurately without breaking the spine of the book. I've encountered some Dale booklets w/really large charts over 2 pages but the Dale booklets are easier to just dismantle to copy the charts properly. It looks like four of the charts in the book extend over the center page fold. I'll edit the original review to include that info.

COLOR KNITTING LINKS

Lizbeth Upitis (author of the Latvian Mittens book) will be moderating a Latvian Mitten KAL on Ravelry. I believe it starts tomorrow and you need to sign in HERE. I wish I could join but I cannot add another thing on the needles right now.

Yarns International is featuring some sweater kits from Ron Schweitzer's new Shetland Lighthouses collection. There's also a slideshow of the lighthouses that inspired his designs.


According to Janel Laidman's blog, she is starting a colorwork sock of the month group. Registration for the club starts today.

Whenever I feel wanderlust, I go to the Alpine Adventure Agency's 2010 Fiber Workshop schedule? Knitting watching the boats at Portofino? Or perhaps a winter vacation in the Tyrolean Alps? I could definitely handle it. The photos are spectacular. Their Ravelry page is HERE.

It isn't too early to start thinking about your Christmas knitting! Here are some fun free Christmas stocking patterns (PDF) using Cascade 220.

The Dale of Norway Peace Sweater is on sale now at Zappo's - from $372 down to $181. I really wish they'd release the knitting pattern!


Here is a Ravelry photo of Lucy Neatby's Paradoxical Mittens. The knitter says she switched up how she held the yarns for each mitten to make them even more paradoxical and it shows off the whole yarn dominance thing quite well. I love the knitter's choice of black and white with a peek of red for the pattern.

Don't you need to build yourself a yarn playpen so you can dream about color combinations? Janine the Feral Knitter offers instructions.

The first issue of Knitting Iceland is offering this free pattern for the lovely Freyja cardigan using Lopi unspun.

Pam Allen has started her own wool yarn line from US sources, Quince and Co., and each weight offers a good selection of colors for colorwork. Tern is the sock yarn and those colors aren't up on the web site yet.

I'm debating buying this Kilim Sock kit from Renaissance Dyeing - they are outrageously beautiful but we're talking 3 colors a row throughout. Hmmmm. Perhaps I should get the Roman de la Rose kit instead - a lot more colors but only 2 colors a row as far as I can tell.





Because I've been chained to the computer this week, I chose a wonderful free pattern for Log Cabin Dishcloths to work on while staring at the monitor. They are seriously addictive; I've knit two more since I took this photo.The pink and green yarns are Lion Brand Bamboo (splitty but beautiful) and the purples are Knitpicks Shine. Speaking of Log Cabin knitting designs, check out Janine's beautiful Parcheesi Afghan (the pattern is also free) in over 30 different colors of Shetland jumper weight yarn.





Every time I go to our library branch, I want to bring this wonderful jade plant home with me. I'll bet it is older than the library building.