A good friend's high-school age daughter loves novelty scarves. I made her a Spontaneous Scarf which she loved and wore to school but I felt bad because it was itchy. So here's my second attempt to make something for her using two yarns I bought on sale at Webs. I broke a circular needle while knitting it but was lucky in yardage. I had about 3 inches of yarn left over from the skein of Mosaic FX after binding off.











GARTER LACE SCARF



Materials: 1 skein Cascada Lana d'Oro worsted weight alpaca/wool, color Colonial Blue

1 skein Mosaic FX rail ribbon yarn, color 4624, Far from Heaven (Mosaic FX yardage is 78 yards and I was really close to needing a second skein)



Size 9 (US) circular needle, as long as you can find



Gauge - unimportant



Finished Size: 3 inches wide by 40 inches long - this is sized for a petite sized girl - if you are making this for an adult add at least a foot. You can cast on any multiple of 2.



Construction Notes: This scarf is knit lengthwise with two yarns held together. Because I hate adding fringe, I cut the yarns after each row so the fringe is built in. Knot the yarns together at either end as you go so it doesn't unravel. If you prefer to add fringe later, just keep knitting and don't cut.



With both yarns held together, cast on 110 stitches LOOSELY. Cut both yarns, leaving a 5-inch tail. Attach both yarns again , leaving a 5-inch tail.



Row 1: (WS) Knit across row, cutting yarns, leaving a 5-inch tail.

Row 2: (RS) Knit across row, cutting yarns, leaving a 5-inch tail.

Row 3: Knit across row, cutting yarns, leaving a 5-inch tail.

Row 4: K1, *YO, K2TOG;, repeat from * across row, end K1. Cut yarns, leaving a 5-inch tail.



Repeat rows 1-4 two more times. Repeat rows 1-3. Bind off LOOSELY, leaving a 5-inch tail.



Now do whatever you want with the fringe. I did single knots and then tied the fringe together about 1 1/2 inches from the top.(Copyright Nanette J. Blanchard, 2004)