Here is the beginner's color knitting hat I'm using for the book. (I'm also including a three-color Norwegian Star hat.) This bright hat is knit without shaping with Cascade 220 and a circular needle with a three needle bind-off (although you can just sew a seam if you prefer) and will have two tassels on the top sides, making it look like a jester's hat when worn. It can also be turned upside down and used as a bag with some I-cord straps.







This photo shows it before blocking and weaving in the ends. As you can see my knitting tension was worse around the hot pink pattern on the bottom. It is hard to always say which patterns are going to cause knitting tension problems but in general patterns with more of a vertical focus, like vertical stripes, offer me the most tension challenges. These tension problems will all block out fortunately.



Here is a scan of the inside of the hat showing the difference between the horizontal stripes and the color pattern parts which have floats.







Tomorrow I'll show how to work in the ends on this hat and also talk about some of the ways I deal with color jogs in knitting patterns.