I'm trying not to start a new project when I have two to finish but the Chulo hat from Andean Folk Knits is calling to me. I have to decide whether to try to get her horrifyingly tight gauge with worsted weight or do it in sport weight. I'm a tight knitter and can generally get Marcia Lewandowski's gauge if I use thinner yarn. I'll have to check my color choices but I like the greens and gray in the original.

I've been eagerly searching for rabbit rescue news from Louisiana and Mississippi. In a Humane Society of the United States press release from yesterday they said they have 250 people on the ground in both states who have rescued a total of 1200 animals "including dogs, cats, cows, ferrets, horses, chinchillas, as well as a rabbit, duck, pot-bellied pig, and seal." So at least one lucky rabbit made it.

In other news, the Louisiana State University Veterinary Medicine Department has rescued 90 horses and mules from New Orleans. There are still 300 left in the city from the companies offering carriage rides to tourists. To help the horses, check their web site.

On the lighter side, this photo just cracks me up. One of the local animal people sent me some wacky photos.