YIKES! Gasoline prices have risen 50% in the past 2 years and there may be more increases to come. Home energy prices are also increasing drastically - our state utility company says that natural gas costs will rise at least 50% this year. Our subdivision water bills will double this year.

The USDA estimates grocery prices will increase at least 3.5% this quarter. Fresh fruits and vegetables, the mainstay of my diet, rose 6%. Real estate prices are rising dramatically - over 20% this past year in some hot markets. And a new law will double many people's monthly credit card payments this year to ensure you are paying off more than just the interest on your debt.

I guess it is time to start knitting from the stash. Fortunately the cost of yarn has stayed the same for me. Sure, there are more fancy frou frou yarns for people who think knitting a $150 fluffy scarf is a good idea. Personally I am grateful for Knitpicks and Elann who often have some basic wool yarns in lots of colors.

My biggest expense has always been books. There are some new knitting books that are $40 plus but I generally live without them. Or wait until I can find them used. Bookfinder is the place to go to find the best used price on a book. If you buy a lot of books like I do, you may be better off checking out a book discounter like Edward Hamilton or Bookcloseouts so you can save on shipping. I buy a few knitting books and a LOT of cookbooks from those two places.

Here are two interesting articles - Ten Things You Should Never Buy New and Ten Things You Should Never Buy Used.

Peaches is not concerned about any increase in cost of her favorite greens. Here she is with her cat friend Bosco. It took her almost 2 years to start hanging out with Bosco although he's always adored rabbits.