Colors of Santa Fe Socks

Thanks all for your comments after my short rant the other day! I especially liked "It's orange!" DH the therapist always says I'm a reactive person which I suspect means I overreact in therapy-speak. Also, I'm in the process of trying to change my blog's template so don't be alarmed if it looks strange for a while. The hat in the title photo is an experiment I did on intarsia in the round. I used my spindle to spin each color from a kit of a million different colors of roving, maybe from Brown Sheep?

Here are my Stephanie van der Linden socks for the February Sockdown Challenge in the Ravelry Sock Knitter's Anonymous group. The pattern is the Color of the Andes Socks from the book Around the World in Knitted Socks. There are three shades of turquoise plus gray and orange so I knew in advance the colors probably wouldn't photograph that well. (Turquoise and red are the two colors I can never seem to photograph well.) Most of the yarns are Elann's Sock it to Me and the orange is some old Kroy and I believe I used size 2 (US) dpns.




I made a few modifications. I omitted the bi-color purl bumps in the ribbing (for some reason bi-color purl bumps freak me out), made both the ribbing and cuff longer, omitted the three color rows in the cuff from sheer laziness, and subbed an afterthought heel for the short row heel. I did four rows of plain stockinette stitch before I started the decreases in the heel and that seems to fit me much better.