Short Rant, A Cupcake, and a Few Links

So it looks like my glove knitting booklet got dissed again on Amazon, this time by a reader who I think is having some confusion about thumb gussets. He/she stated that the booklet contains only one pattern (it contains two patterns) and wrote "Do not write "make the second glove as the first and reverse the thumb gore pattern". A novice knitter most likely has not reversed a pattern or even made their first pair of gloves."  I NEVER SAID THAT - the Geometric Gloves use a sore thumb gusset and you knit two of the exact same glove and the Colorblock Gloves have a peasant thumb and there are separate instructions for the right and left hand thumbs.

The reviewer also reviewed The Knitter's Handy Book of Knitting Patterns and was also unhappy about the same right hand/left hand glove issue. I left comments under the reviews trying to explain that sore thumb gussets do not have a right and a left side so perhaps their confusion will be cleared up. It doesn't seem fair to receive a one star review that says things about my booklet (including using quotation marks??) that aren't even true. 

To sweeten things up around here, how about a cupcake potholder? I was approached to do a book proposal for a British publisher last summer on the subject of knitted potholders. Each potholder was to highlight a different technique. The proposal was a rush job and not particularly pleasant and the cupcake would have looked better if the green I-cord was longer. I like the cherry though. I haven't heard back about the book but I have already decided to stop designing and writing technique booklets (and reading my Amazon reviews!!!) and learn to enjoy knitting again. I just have one final fingerless glove design to knit up next month using Carol Sunday's beautiful yarns.


Here are a few new links for color knitters. I am going to try to post these more frequently so you don't have 100 links to go through at a time.

FREE PATTERNS

Dale of Norway is offering this free pattern for a cute toddler dress with flowers (PDF).

Designer Varian Brandon has done a series of free chullo-type patterns with earflaps using Cascade 220: River Fire (my fave), River Blossom, and River Star.

I'd make this geometric Drops sweater for DH in a flash if it was sized up to XL. Best part? No boring plain color sections.

This colorful hat was inspired by the book the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society and uses Shetland Spindrift.


PATTERNS FOR SALE

The Wintry Mix Mitts by Grace and Alice Schnebly use 3 colors of sport weight yarn.

I like these Zigzag Tams from Classic Elite Yarns.

The Douglas Mittens are a wonderful lined mitten using Cascade 220. I think DH would love these and it is usually hard to find colorwork mitten patterns he'd like.

I like the Cascade 220 colors used on these Folklore Mittens by Randi K. Design.

I love all of Mary Ann's designs - check out her newest Tulip Mittens. I love how you can add your initials and date on the inside of the thumb.

KALs

Here is a KAL for Ann Feitelson's pretty Hillswick Lumber sweater.

EBOOKS

The Four Seasons ebook includes four colorwork hat patterns for $6 CAD.

KITS

Holiday Yarns is offering this pretty sock kit, Coeur d'Oro.

BOOKS

Norsk Strikkdesign is being republished next month as Norwegian Knitting Designs.


ETA:

I apologize that I keep forgetting to mention the Warm Hats Not Hot Heads group to promote civility in politics no matter your political affiliation! HERE is their Ravelry page and they are attempting to knit hats for every member of Congress.