I can't understand why my spinning is so much more even when I use the wheel. I prefer spindles and use them more often so I don't understand why the wheel makes such a difference. I'll be using a wheel and will notice all sorts of unevenness while spinning but the yarn always ends up looking better. I'm beginning to think it is the plying, not the actual spinning. I've been considering asking Santa for THIS or THIS (if Santa is feeling more extravagant) which may make a difference.



It looks like there are many more hours of baseball in my life this next week so I'm going to do an experiment. I'm going to spin some of my Romney on the wheel and on a spindle. Then I'm going to ply the singles both ways - with a wheel and with a spindle. If my hunch is correct the spindle spun, wheel plyed yarn will be the nicest.



Speaking of spindles, look at what one very large brown rodent-like creature with big ears did to the shaft of one of my Bosworth spindles. She's now grounded for the rest of her life. Fortunately it still spins fine although I estimate the shaft is now about 1/2" shorter as a result.