I've been wondering for a while why I haven't been challenging myself with my knitting. I thought for a while it was because I crashed and burned with my Level III submission and then I thought maybe it was because it is getting more difficult to see charts well late at night.

I've finally figured it out. It is because I'm such a product-oriented knitter. So far in 2005 my production has been way down and I didn't want to start a project that took more time. Lately it is so hot hot hot that all I can do here is knit and watch cooking shows on tv. I'm now finishing more projects therefore I'm more interested in doing some complicated projects.

I'm almost finished with my 2nd pair of feather and fan socks and am halfway through the Vine Lace socks both from the Socks X3 book. I have also started on the Girly-Girl socks from the Spin-Off book. All three pairs are going to the same girlfriend so I am working on them simultaneously.

To challenge myself a bit, I'm planning on starting the Aran Mittens from Folk Mittens as soon as I can work out the gauge. There's no way I'm knitting them in worsted weight on size 3 dpns - I'm going to either use sport or fingering weight Cormo. I also just ordered some of the new Knitpicks solid-colored sock yarn for the fancy Leaf socks in Socks X3.

The baby rock squirrels are finally out and about. One hangs out by the back door and one hangs out by the front door. They are so adorable! Here's a photo of one of the nests. Look for all the twigs stuffed in the rock wall behind the white chair.




If it ever cools off I can sit out here and knit.