I've heard from some blog readers who also enjoy classes from the Teaching Company. I recommend that anyone who orders a class from them take all the online surveys they conduct. I also send in the little feedback forms that come with each class. As a result they sent me 3 free copies of the American Ideals course last year to help evaluate their new packaging. I'm hoping some day to get on their list to evaluate possible new lecturers. Also, only order the classes on sale. They all go on sale at some point every year so you shouldn't have to wait too long.

Here are some reviews of the classes we've purchased. So far we've only done the classes on audiotape to save money but our next class will be video or DVD.

Voltaire and the Triumph of the Enlightenment - This was the first class we tried and we loved it. My undergraduate degree is in French so I'd already read Candide but it inspired DH to do so also.

American Religious History - This course is absolutely fascinating and was our first class with Dr. Patrick Allitt. He is by far our favorite Teaching Company lecturer. He has an obsession with unearthing all sorts of strange little snippets and quotes. Although initially I thought it was weird that a Brit was teaching a class on American history, now I'd take any class with him on any subject any time.

The High Middle Ages - This course was DH's choice and honestly, neither of us were completely excited by the professor. Yes we know you went to Harvard because you mention it constantly! I did find some of it interesting though so I'd give it a lukewarm thumbs-up.

Victorian Britain - Another class by Dr. Allitt and so far my favorite Teaching Company class. He relies heavily on Queen Victoria's personal diary for the class. He also discusses a lot of literature from that period - Dickens, Gaskell, Trollope, etc. I actually went and bought most of the novels Dr. Allitt recommended.

Robert E Lee and His High Command - DH's choice and not my cup of tea at all. If you like Civil War military history and discussions, this one is for you. DH ended up listening to most of this class while driving to work although I did enjoy hearing just how loony tunes Stonewall Jackson was.

Thomas Jefferson: American Visionary - We had high hopes for this one but the affected accent the professor used whenever he quoted Jefferson just drove us nuts. This is the only class we didn't finish - fortunately it was one of the inexpensive ones. It doesn't seem to be offered for sale any more anyway.

Great Pharoahs of Ancient Egypt - Very well done and another one of my favorites. Honestly I wasn't even that interested in Egypt but Professor Brier proves that a really good teacher can make any subject fascinating. I really regretted not getting this one on video or DVD because I really wanted to see all the specific pyramids and monuments he was discussing. Some of his lectures like the one on discovering Tutankhamen's tomb were incredibly suspenseful and compelling. I believe Professor Brier did a tv show on the Discovery Channel. I plan to order another class on this subject with him, on video this time.

American Ideals: Founding a Republic of Virtue - We haven't started this one yet but we're looking forward to starting it this week.