Blocking

I should have houseguests more often - I got more knitting and blogging done this week than when I don't have visitors.

I recently took out Vogue Knitting's Stitchionary Volume 3, Color Knitting from our library. I was surprised this book is only charts and photos of swatches without any technique information. The chapters are Two-Color Knitting, Fair Isle/Multicolor, Intarsia/Motifs, Slip Stitches and Texture Added. I'm not quite sure how they're defining the type of color knitting in each chapter; all the 2-color traditional Norwegian star charts are in the intarsia/motif chapter and there is a headband in the Fair Isle/Multicolor section that I think belongs in the intarsia chapter. But since they don't even define or talk about the difference between stranded color knitting and intarsia, I guess it doesn't matter. I was more surprised they didn't block the swatches before photographing them.

I estimate about 80% of my color knitting needs blocking. This is partially because I prefer 4 dpns to 5 for the speed. I did get a photo of my current gloves to show the difference between unblocked on the needles and blocked.



I hope to finish the gloves this week although I may run out of the white Palette before my next order arrives. I plan to add embroidery on the cuffs, on the women's skirts, and on the fingers. Nicky Epstein's Knitted Embellishments has a good chapter on adding embroidery to knitted fabric which I'll use for guidance.

I put some photos up in the Glove Knitting blog that show reverse duplicate stitch used to deal with holes between glove fingers. Because each finger is a different color, it may be easier to see what I'm talking about than in my previous posts.