Sandnesgarn Jacket


Our anniversary is at the end of next month and I thought I'd ask DH for yarn for a sweater. Initially I thought I'd go ahead and ask for Heilo to make Whistler for him. (I previously attempted to make it with a less expensive yarn but had serious problems with row gauge.) But then I saw this lovely sweater - it is called "Elegant Jacket" in the Sandnesgarn 0210 pattern book. It looks like a dream to knit and fortunately there is very little boring non-stranded knitting. (You can also purchase the yarn and pattern as a kit HERE.) It is also finer gauge which means I might be able to wear it inside occasionally.

The only problem is the designated yarn - Sisu is a machine washable sock  yarn and I have no clue how well it will work for the cut armholes.  I did look at the yarn page on Ravelry and see that some people have used it for sweaters with cut armholes. Unfortunately I did a Dale of Norway baby sweater years ago in 20 colors of a Norwegian superwash yarn and it was ruined because the yarn was so slippery even knotting wouldn't keep the ends from working their way loose. So before I commit to knitting the sweater I'm going to knit a big swatch and cut it. (What is the right term for the Norwegian version of steeking again??)

I know the background color will be the light lavender on top and the others are for sampling. I also realized I don't even need to do a third background color around the edges - instead I could use some wonderful Norwegian braid. Of course it will need some killer Norwegian buttons as well - Nordic Fiber Arts has a spectacular selection.