I'm knitting the Making Waves socks in Selkirk and they should be finished soon. I'm saving most of the spindle spinning I have to do for the Olympics. We turned off our satellite dish service but we still can watch the networks for free. I have noticed that less tv means more knitting. I'm not sure why though as I always used to knit while watching the tube. Maybe I just have more time in general now.



I've eaten a lot of tofu in my life. A lot. And this is the best tofu recipe ever. It is my low-fat, lower-salt adaptation of one published years ago in Vegetarian Times in an article about personal chefs. The original recipe was submitted by Steven Seagal's personal chef. It also happens to be one of the best looking tofu recipes - the honey in the marinade makes for gorgeous grill marks. Try it!











Grilled Tofu w/Honey-Wasabi Marinade



Serves 4



(Note: I only use wasabi paste, not the powdered stuff. You could try

the powder but I don't know how to adjust the amount.)



1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce

1/4 cup minced fresh gingerroot

2 tablespoons minced shallots

1 clove garlic, minced (optional)

1 tsp. sesame oil

1/4 cup unseasoned rice vinegar

2 Tbsp. wasabi paste

1/4 cup honey

1 lb. extra firm tofu (I buy Japanese tofu), drained and sliced into 1/2" thick slabs

vegetable oil for grilling

4 cups cooked long-grain brown rice



In shallow casserole dish, mix soy sauce, ginger, scallions, garlic, sesame oil, vinegar, wasabi paste, and honey together. Add tofu, cover and refrigerate. Marinate, turning occasionally, at least an hour. Three hours is better.



Arrange tofu cutlets on greased grill or in greased grill pan and cook over medium-high heat on both sides until outside is lightly browned. (If you really want to get wild, move tofu on grill twice so you get those nice crosshatch markings.)



Return tofu to marinade and mix well. Serve hot over rice.



I need to look through my recipes this afternoon. Next Sunday is the next installment of
IMBB or Is My Blog Burning? The theme is dumplings (any kind) and I may do some vegetarian potstickers. To participate, simply make a recipe in the theme and post it (and a photo if possible) on your blog.