Sandy in the comments says the proper title for the Japanese book is Scandinavian Knitted Accessories. Sherry asked how I'm knitting from the book. Fortunately the color charts are the same.



For the gloves I cast on 54 stitches on size 3 (US) dpns in a sport weight yarn which is working well sizewise. I didn't do the braiding but if you wanted to you could use the 2 color vikkel braid from Folk Knitting in Estonia which looks the same. I'm not so sure about the dark green color I chose in the cuff but I'll wait and see until they're done. I'm ready for the fingers and I looked at the individual finger charts to see the numbers. They'll be something like (1) (7)(3)(7)(2) with additional Japanese characters. I took that to mean cast on 1 stitch, knit 7 sts off the needle, pick up 3 sts from the previous finger, knit 7 more sts from the next dpn, and cast on 2 more sts. I did the math for each finger and it works out to the 64 sts on the needles at the end of the glove body.