This week I need to choose the colors for the Fair Isle mittens. Fair Isle color selection is truly an art and I've seen some really awful combos and some that take my breath away. In the past I've taken the easy way out by using all similar colors like the blues and greens in my nautical tam above or tone-on-tone (all shades of the same color) or I've simply recreated the colors used in the original pattern.

I have a good selection of Shetland colors so I could certainly do something in all bright colors or all jewel tones or all pastels. But I have quite a bit of bright red Shetland so I've decided that will be the main color. I'm going to include both pastels, brights, and tweeds for my color combination to further challenge myself.

We'll see how successful I am. Sometimes I wish I could just throw all the colors of yarn up in the air and just use whatever colors fall near my feet.