"Let me warn you that a genuine interest in knitting can keep you fascinated, eagerly pursuing it, and never satisfied through a lifetime."



From Woman's Day Book of American Needlework, Rose Wilder Lane, 1963





One of my Christmas gifts arrived early and I just had to open it. It was Weekend Knitting by Melanie Falick and I'm quite fond of it. This is such a good example of a book that can offer knitting projects for both the beginner (including the obligatory garter stitch scarf pattern with size 35 needles) and projects for the rest of us. I really have to make the PGR finger puppets which are quite detailed and knit from the top down. I also want to make some flower washcloths and DH has asked for the intarsia chair cushion for his oak rocking chair. I want to get the cushion done by Christmas (at least the knitted part) so I should get swatching tomorrow.



I want to purchase some yarn for a few projects but am having trouble finding what I'm looking for. I checked out Elann and of the 92 yarns they currently offer, 58 are thicker than worsted weight. Worsted weight is as thick as I can go and I try to even limit that. All those thick heavy yarns and fat needles are hard on my hands. I'm trying to find some sport weight yarn in just the right color for the Austrian hat and mittens on the current Cast On and some simple sport weight cotton in very bright colors for the flower washcloths (not chenille).



Here's one of my favorite tools - an inexpensive music stand for holding patterns and charts. I also have a scissors, tape measurer, and pen that hang from it. The thing in the middle is a nice magnetized chart holder I ordered from Schoolhouse Press. There is a ruler magnet and some other magnets that help keep your place in a chart.