Wellington Hat







This is a fun pattern - the Wellington hat from Cabin Fever in Cascade 220. I made it in a size small and I thought I found an error in the pattern. I emailed the pattern designer who wrote back and explained to me how to read a knitting chart. I've done the math several times and I still think that Chart 2 - Crown for size small needs to be started on row 7, not row 5. It is a cute hat for a kid and has already been sent off to its destination.

So what is on your knitting Christmas wish list? I've already received Weekend Knitting and I'm going to get the Virtual Yarns Lismore pillow kit. Here are other the books that are on my wish list.

1. Handpaint Country: A Knitters Journey by Cheryl Potter - This book surprised me when I finally looked it over a few weeks ago at Borders. It really feels more like Knitting in America and I felt it had some excellent technique info even though I rarely use multi-colored yarns.

2. Nursery Rhyme Knits: Hats, Mittens, and Scarves with Kid's Favorite Verses - Of course I had to have this the minute I saw the cover and spotted some rabbits.

3. Kaffe Fassett's Pattern Library: Over 190 Creative Knitwear Designs - Clara's write-up at Knitter's Review convinced me I needed this.

4. Arans & Celtics: The Best of Knitter's Magazine - Since I don't subscribe to Knitter's, I figure there will be some designs new to me.

5. Vogue Knitting on the Go: Pillows - I've looked through this one and there are a few intarsia patterns I want to do.

6. Knitting with Beads: 30 Beautiful Sweaters, Scarves, Hats & Gloves - I don't do much bead knitting but this book looks pretty interesting.

7. Aromatic Gifts: In Classic Knitted Cotton - This one just intrigues me - I'm not sure why.

8. Caps & Hats Two: Vogue Knitting on the Go - I always need more hat patterns.

9. Traditional Fair Isle Knitting - Sheila McGregor - A reprint of a hard-to-find book. I'd actually like her Scandinavian/Norwegian more but beggars can't be choosers.

10. Knitting in the Old Way - Priscilla Gibson-Roberts - Another reprint but Amazon says it won't be out until February.


Anita asked in the comments yesterday about the Aran Sandal Socks. They are a pattern from the book Socks, Socks, Socks by XRX and you can't buy the Cormo yarn I'm using. I want it all for myself! No really it is sold only at the Taos Wool Festival by Elsa Sheep & Wool. You can buy some of their already knit products though from their web site.