The Squawkbox comments don't seem to be working. I received the comments for today via email but they're not showing up on the blog. Larry, I think you'll enjoy the Aran socks. They are pretty fun and the finished look is quite classic. Hi Robin - I'll check out Schoolhouse if I don't get Knitting in the Old Way for Christmas. Dj - thanks I'll check out Hill Creek Fiber Studio as well. I envy you working at a yarn shop! Kerstin, thanks for your kind words. I have Knitting in America and I enjoy browsing through it too.











Weekends are not optimal knitting time around here. DH and my friend Diane and myself are all Scrabble maniacs. We probably play 15-20 games of Scrabble a week so I've started planning knitting and spinning projects just to work on during Scrabble. My first Scrabble/knitting project is to finish hand-spinning this Easter egg dyed mohair and to keep working on the multi-directional scarf from the resulting yarn.



For those of you who also like Scrabble, I highly recommend the book Word Freak: Heartbreak, Triumph, Genius, and Obsession in the World of Competitive Scrabble Players by Stefan Fatsis. It is about a sports reporter who accidentally finds himself swept up in the wacky world of tournament Scrabble. He starts out complaining about being assigned a story on Scrabble and ends up becoming one of the top players in the country. The book is filled with great tips on improving your game such as memorizing all the two and three letter words.



I have an additional tip for fellow Scrabble maniacs - get the hard-to-find international Scrabble English dictionary (called SOWPODS - it includes British and Australian words and spellings) so you can use qi as a word. Much more handy than qat, qoph, or qaid.





Yes, I know, I know. I need to get a life.