June Color Knitting Links



There are some good links today! I am just waiting for a photo session but I will have a free pattern for stranded fingerless mitts available for you next.

FREE PATTERNS

This incredible complex sock pattern from Sock Madness 5 designed by Leslie Comstock is going to be released free very soon. I am haunting the project page because I absolutely have to knit the Pisqu socks as soon as possible! I love that the gusset decreases are under the heel.

Rigmor offers these classic Selbu Mittens - I like that they are knit in DK weight yarn and plan to make them soon.

The Vector Mittens by Jennifer Thompson come in multiple sizes and offer variations for top shaping along with a fingerless mitt option. They are knit in Palette.

Kamilla offers a great free tutorial on how to knit a stranded top for your high-top sneakers.

Ruskin on Ravelry has been busy designing tam patterns: Sunset Over Loch Broom, the Greenvoe Fair Isle Tam, and Colour Your Own Fair Isle Tam where you can insert your favorite charts.

Cascade Yarns is offering this free pattern for a hooded coat. I wish I could see a better photo because I would definitely consider knitting it. I hope someone knits it soon so I can make a decision.

If you have a bunch of sock yarn odds and ends, knit yourself some handy Luggage Finders.

Roald Wench's Dala Selu Hybrid Mittens feature a horse and a ribbed cuff.

PATTERNS FOR SALE

Susan Crawford's booklet, Vintage Gifts to Knit, offers some lovely and feminine stranded projects.

I'm pretty sure I've never linked to a pattern for stranded adult pants before! The Wool Poker Dot Pants come in one size and use size 5 (US) needles.

Amanda Carrigan's Snowflake Gloves are knit in fingering weight yarn and feature corrugated ribbing and lots of snowflakes.

EYE CANDY

Check out this afghan from Woolly Thoughts! I love this idea - you simply pick 10 colors and then do squares of two of the ten colors mixed together. So ten colors look like fifty five colors! I may have to use this idea for something.

Here are some gorgeous Russian socks that apparently also protect you from bad luck. If you are familiar with Turkish sock construction you can grab the free charts from a Russian blog (link at the Rav page).

I love TonyD's Spinner's Hill Waistcoat. Apparently he also spindle spun all the yarn as well.

Check out Soxnsox's mind-boggling rainbow version of the Thistle Shawl for our Stranded Forum KAL. It very much deserved to win First in  its Class at Maryland Sheep and Wool. I love that she knit  "Soxnsox 2011" in the border!

Westgate knit some beautiful Turkish socks in brilliant blues. I just love, love, love the colors.

Aztoni knit this lizard sweater inspired by M.C. Escher. You can PM her if you'd like the charts.


BOOKS

Sasha Kagan's Classic Collection, due in September, promises to have intarsia and stranded sweater designs along with essays about hand knit fashion through the years. I wish I could see more of the designs! Her web site also sells kits for nature-inspired intarsia sweaters.

I'm going to pre-order Sock Knitting Master Class which looks to have some great stranded patterns from many accomplished designers and will be released next month. Also, Knitting Socks Around the World, available in August, looks promising.

MISCELLANEOUS

Want free yarn? YarnOnTheHouse offers regular free giveaways of yarn and patterns.

Has anyone tried the Knit Picks' Teleidoscope? Apparently it helps you make color choices by peering at your yarns through it. I should really just buy one and try it as it is only $2.99.

In this post, Mary Ann of Two Strands offers to kit up any of her old Dale of Norway sweater patterns for you. Dale is offering the old patterns for free so no more being sad about long lost patterns.

On Blarter you can offer your handmade items as barter for other handmade stuff. Check it out!

YOUTUBE

Learn to massage your own hands with this video from Veria TV.

From MamachaUK, here is an interesting video where you can see a traditional chullo being knit. I love how all the extra unused colors are made into little butterflies for more mobile knitting.

Here's a fun video showing double knitting four colors per row - not exactly the speediest technique with all that back and forth of the four yarns. I was wondering how often all the yarns would needed to be untangled in this method.