Here's my beloved Navajo spindle. I purchased it from the Sheep Shearing Day at La Plata Farms in Hesperus Colorado. They weren't shearing sheep because it was too rainy but there were cute lambs to pet and the Ramseys have a neat building on their acreage with all sorts of spinning supplies for sale. They do have a mail-order catalog and a regular booth at Taos Wool Festival. Anyway Doug Ramsey made this oak Navajo spindle and I really liked the detail work on the whorl. It has a 36" shaft which is tapered at the top end and has a 5 3/4" whorl. The whole thing weighs 11 1/2 ounces.







If you're looking for a wide variety of wonderful spindles, you can't go wrong with the huge selection at the Woolery. And my favorite book on spindle spinning is Connie Delaney's Spindle Spinning from Novice to Expert. With this book I taught myself to Navajo ply, to wind a center-pull ball on my hand, and to use the Peruvian long arm to get more length.



The red Spontaneous Scarf is finished and I absolutely love it. There are definitely more of these in my future. I'm not sure what to start on next but I will get back to Trondheim first.