Noel Stockings

There is a discussion on the Knitlist about adapting another type of needlework such as embroidery or crochet to knitting. A while back I purchased some inexpensive Dover counted cross stitch books of various designs. I use the Christmas one to chart out letters - here's a sock using Kroy sock yarn and a design from Katherine Pence's A Time to Knit Stockings. I added the Noel on top. (BTW, I really hated the Kroy yarn. It pilled a lot and actually shrunk in the laundry even though it is supposedly superwash.)




One of the best examples I've ever seen of using non-knitting designs for knitting is Catherine Devine's Sock page. Her Celtic socks are terribly inspiring and I already have the Celtic Charted Designs book she got the designs from. I need to get out my graph paper and colored pencils and make some charts for future mittens. The Harald mittens from Viking Patterns for Knitting in Tahki Sable wool/angora will be finished today and will go in my knitting box waiting for someone to fall in love with them.

This weekend I hope to do some tvaandstickning and report back here on my experiences. I'm sure you will all be holding your breath!