Tiit's Socks




These are the Tiit's socks from Folk Knitting in Estonia done in Wildfoote.

Another FO - my second Spontaneous Scarf (pattern in current issue of Spin-Off) done in neutral colors. Now I'm starting on the Harald's mittens in Tahki Sable (wool/angora blend) from Elsebeth Lavold's Viking Patterns for Knitting (I love this book!). I don't know what weight the suggested Lord of Aran yarn is but it seems for most yarn weights 56 stitches on size 6 needles would make some seriously huge mittens. For the listed gauge that would be almost 12 inches around. Actually the mittens the guy in the photo is wearing look a bit big. I'm using size 3 needles which should be about right. I haven't decided yet but I may double the chart repeat on the cabled part to make them more like gauntlet mittens.

The main reason I'm doing these mittens is to get some of the leftover Sable for my next Spontaneous Scarf. The yarn color is a very nice soft green and it is so soft and perfect for my Spontaneous Scarf done in various shades of green. There is a warning by Charlene Andersen-Shea, the author of the Spontaneous Scarf article that you'll start making them to reduce your stash but in the end you'll be buying more odd skeins of yarn and spinning odd bits of fiber just to use for the scarves. They really are addicting!