Since yesterday I've started and abandoned a project and started yet another one. The abandoned project is the Multi-Cultural mittens for my friend Joelle from The Joy of Knitting. This book reminds me a lot of another book I have checked out from the library - A Passion for Knitting. The Multi-Cultural mittens were done in alpaca from a design similar to one in the Komi mitten book which I gave away. For some reason the design kept reminding me of a swastika and the pattern committed the Cardinal Sin of multi-color knitting on the thumb gusset.



What is the Cardinal Sin of multi-color knitting you ask? Writing out the color design instead of charting it, i.e., knit 2 color A, knit 3 color B, and so on. The pattern on the body of the mitten was charted so I was unclear why the pattern suddenly went south like that.



My newest project is a garter stitch rectangle. Yeeha. Actually I have chosen a design for the kid's knitting class. It is the tie hat in a Passion for Knitting and I'm sizing it down for worsted weight yarn. I think I'll stripe it also. You knit a garter stitch rectangle, sew up one end, and do a really easy tie by casting on and binding off 60 stitches. Then tie up the hole on the top. I like this because it is quicker than a garter stitch scarf and the hats can be pretty flexible about size because you roll up the cuff. It seems like the perfect first project and from there I'll tailor the projects to the individual kids.







Here's a close-up of St. Enda. I've mainly enjoyed it but for some reason the honeycomb stitch (two center panels between the 3 cables) annoys me. I noticed when I was looking through my Alice Starmore books the other day that I was purposely picking a future sweater that did not have honeycomb stitch. I hope to actually have some St. Enda knitting to report when I return to my blog on Monday.