LET THERE BE LIGHT



The Ott-lite arrived Wednesday. Considering we'd ordered it Friday evening, we thought that was pretty good service. It was also on sale for $99 instead of $169 - we got the gray 18 watt, Vision Saver, floor lamp. DH growled a bit while putting it together and said the usual things about the instructions not being written in English. I think he was just hot as it has been over 100 here all week and we only have one tiny little room air conditioner.



I was surprised that it was not taller being a floor lamp. Fortunately I knit on our futon which is relatively low to the ground. I could see if you had a really high couch or chair that the actual lamp part might be too close to your hands. It is slightly adjustable but it feels like if you adjust it too often, it will break. It is kind of a strange flexible plastic. The lamp itself looks kind of space-age with a green transparent strip above the light. DH took a pretty long time to figure out how to turn it on. He's really not usually this dense - did I mention it was over 100 degrees?



Ahh - the light. It really is amazing, it gives things kind of a bluish cast. At first it was like my eyes needed to adjust to it, it felt different, not really excessively bright, just different. I kept looking at knitted items in incandescent light then under the Ott-lite. You can really tell the difference in the colors. I also examined the light for glare. I took a glossy magazine and checked it out under the Ott-lite. There is still some glare but there is less glare. The light itself is also refreshingly cool. You can stick your hand right near the bulb.



As it turns out I had a project to do that was perfecting for testing out the Ott-Lite. I had to sew some ear flaps to a hat in a dark color. Wow! I never have to put off something until daylight again. I told DH I'm now ready to knit him a black Aran if he so desires.



I do notice an occasional minimal flickering with the Ott-Lite. Annoying but not really important I guess. I'm just grateful I can now knit at night.