I'm sure you'll all over fall over in shock but I started another project this weekend. Yes, believe it or not, I started something else instead of spinning up more alpaca or finishing the back of St. Enda. Shocking, isn't it?



The new project is Priscilla Gibson-Robert's Dresser Scarf Socks from the latest issue of Interweave Knits in two colors of Cascade Fixation. I decided to go through my stash and clean out all the odd balls of yarn and I had these two balls of Fixation that had been annoying me for months. The pattern is absolutely fun and I'll get to try some new techniques like garter stitch kitchener, short row toes (I've done short row heels but never toes), and a wacky zigzag bind off. The cuff is knit on two needles so I'll do that in one color and the foot of the sock in another. I'm not even sure the colors match (turquoise and kind of a weird red) but I'll be happy to use up this yarn. The finished socks will go in my knitting box for future gifts to as yet unknown recipients.



I now have a whole basket of odd balls and partial skeins of yarn I need to find patterns for. I really have to stop buying weird skeins of yarn on sale and stick to just adding colors to a few well chosen and relatively inexpensive lines of yarn. To use up the rest of the yarn I'm currently thinking Debbie New's Better Mousetrap socks in an old Interweave Knits issue, the Sideways Garter Stitch gloves in the current issue of Spin-Off, the mittens in Viking Patterns for Knitting and maybe some more fingertip-up gauntlet mittens from Anna Zilboorg's book. We'll see...



And here is a photo of one attempt to get rid of some stash yarn - in this case it was extra amounts of Heilo yarn left over from Dale sweaters. I call these my Flip Mittens - named after my wonderful black bunny Flip. The rabbit cuff pattern is from A Year of Mittens. As you can tell I ran out of the light yarn by the time I got to the thumbs so I improvised.