Lillehammer Socks



These are the Dale of Norway Lillehammer socks done in Brown Sheep Nature Spun. I wasn't quite getting gauge so I skipped the Norwegian deities on the feet. They are absolutely perfect for cross-country skiing.

I feel like a fish out of water. I only have two projects on the needles now. The Norwegian gloves had to be ripped. The pattern came with a striped lace cuff that I didn't like (the photo in the pattern just had a simple striped ribbed cuff) and I think I'll do it again with a corrugated ribbing. I'm also deciding if I should substitute another yarn. The Rauma yarn (Ganselerie?) that came with the kit has no elasticity whatsoever.

I spent yesterday afternoon playing with the shoulders on my vest. The original pattern has a stair step decrease at the top. Originally I was thinking about short-rowing it instead but wasn't sure how that would work with the pattern stitch. So today I tried seaming them as is using the Woven Seam method from the Nancie Wiseman finishing book. What a neat method of seaming shoulders - looks just like Kitchener stitch! Unfortunately this didn't work with my particular pattern stitch. I tried it again doing the woven seam in the second row which looked better (made the pattern continuous) but there was too much bulk at the seam. So finally I've decided to do a straight cast off at the shoulders, no stair step decreases, and then my favorite 3-needle bind off.

My only other knitting project is St. Enda which will now become my nighttime project. I need a project that is easy to see at night and I'm making St. Enda with a light yarn using large needles.