Cross-Country Ski Socks

Check out Stasia's gorgeous spontaneous scarf. I am tempted to make another one in purple but I have too many projects going now. I'm trying to work on each one every day.My current WIPs include the Celtic Keynot pillow from Virtual Yarns, the Trondheim sweater in Emu Superwash DK, and the Highland Socks from Latvian Dreams: Knitting from Weaving Charts by Joyce Williams in Nylamb. I recently checked Latvian Dreams out from the library and am enjoying reading through it.

Joyce Williams' designs have a certain unusual style similar to those of Meg Swansen and Elizabeth Zimmermann. It is hard to explain but the designs often have minimal necklines, lots of garter stitch, I-cord edgings, and not much ribbing. There is some excellent technique info in this book that I'm copying down in my knitting journal. For instance, in her discussion of toe-up vs. cuff-down socks she states that one advantage of a toe-up sock is that increases have less bulk than decreases so your toes will have less bulk.

The projects in Latvian Dreams are not for those who dislike math. There are no needle sizes given and a cast on number is rarely provided. I think you just get a suggested gauge and a chart and you're supposed to figure out what part of the chart to knit and what not to for your desired size. The Highland socks from the book are unique in that you increase stitches before the heel and decrease after. The bottom of the sole has striping where I assume you do the increases and decreases.



I was searching to see if I had any photos of an EZ design but all I have are these EZ memorial cross-country ski socks I knit from purchased naturally-colored handspun after hearing of her death. I used some charts from one of her books for the color design and just made up a pattern as I went.