Thrummed Mittens

Check out Webs' sale on Cascade 220 - only $4.69 a skein compared to almost $7 elsewhere. I bought some purple to make Alice Starmore's Malin from In The Hebrides. I'm making a smaller size this time because the large size ends up about 51 inches wide. I did a web search to see if I could find any photos of a finished Malin and there is a pretty blue one by Veronique and nice red one on Victoria Palay's site . I think this sweater may be a faster knit than St. Enda because there are no stitches that need to be twisted on the reverse side and no honeycomb stitch fortunately. I plan to do the large roll collar version.

The Philosopher's Wool socks are history. I couldn't fit them over my heel even though I was getting gauge using the pattern from Foot Notes. Hmmm. One interesting thing I did discover about PW yarn is that it has a tendency to stick together. Wendy has talked previously about yarns that don't need to be stitched in any way before steeking and I suspect you could get away with it in PW.




Today's photo is a pair of thrummed mittens that I made for DH several years ago. Even though they've been worn a lot, the thrums never managed to felt so the mittens still have these stringy pieces of wool inside but they're still quite warm. The wool is some very old single ply Lamb's Pride and the pattern came from HERE.